Prep: 15 minutes Cook: 15 minutes Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced
- 8 ounces brown mushrooms minced
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup beef broth
- 8 ounces Provolone Cheese Slices, chopped (use 6oz if you don’t want it very cheesy)
- 6 brioche hamburger buns
- Add the ground beef to a large cast iron skillet (this browns very well) and brown until a deep brown crust appears before breaking the beef apart.
- Stir the ground beef and brown until a deep crust appears on about 50 or so percent of the beef.
- Remove the beef (you can leave the fat) and add the butter and the onions and bell peppers and mushrooms.
- Let brown for 1-2 minutes before stirring, then let brown for another 1-2 minutes before stirring again.
- Add the beef back into the pan.
- In a small cup mix the beef broth and cornstarch together
- Add the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, salt, black pepper, beef broth/cornstarch mixture into the pan.
- Cook until the mixture is only slightly liquidy (about 75% of the mixture is above liquid), 3-5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, add in the provolone cheese.
- Served on toasted brioche buns.
Yield: 6 sandwiches, Serving Size: 1 sandwich
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 523 Calories
- Total Fat: 18.3g
- Saturated Fat: 8.2g
- Carbohydrates: 40.2g
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Protein: 42g
Adapted from Philly Cheesesteak Grilled Cheese from… well… this blog.
All images and text ©